RAFAEL ALVAREZ-GARNERIA joined Alstom South Africa in 2013 as Managing Director for the Power Automation & Controls Business Unit.
Rafael Alvarez has more than 20 years of experience in project management and construction of power plants, including several very large and complex projects. As an EPC contractor he has designed, tested, erected and commissioned I&C systems from Elsag Bailey (INFI 90), ABB (Advant), MHI and many others. Most recently (2012-2013), Rafael worked for Slovenské elektrárne (a company of the Enel group) as project manager at the nuclear island of Mochovce NPP, Slovak Republic.
In 2011-2012 Rafael was Director of Construction at ContourGlobal (a NYC based utility), with P&L responsibility of projects under construction in Brazil, Italy, Nigeria, Poland and Ukraine.
In 2006-2010 Rafael was project director at Techint Engineering & Construction. He was based in Mexico and in charge of execution of the 62 CCE Pacifico BoP project for CFE in Mexico, a 700 MW supercritical coal-fired power plant.
Rafael worked at ABB and at Alstom in Milan (Italy) and in Madrid (Spain) from 1992 to 2005. He was project engineer, project manager, proposal manager and project director, including several assignments across the world:
- Project Director, Los Barrios WFGD for Endesa in Spain (deSOx for 550 MW in consortium with INITEC Energía). Rafael was a board member at Alstom Power Italia Sucursal en España.
- Proposal Manager, Wet Flue Gas Desulphurization sales in Italy, Portugal and Spain.
- Project Manager, Planta Centro Gas Conversion for Cadafe in Venezuela (4x400 MW).
- Project Manager, Guajoyo Hydro Plant Rehabilitation for CEL in El Salvador (20 MW).
- Project Manager, Drin River Cascade Rehabilitation for KESH in Albania (Fierza and Vau i Dejes).
- Project Manager, Mae Moh 4-7 WFGD for Marubeni/EGAT in Thailand (deSOx for 2x300 MW).
- Project Manager, Compostilla 3 WFGD for Endesa in Spain (deSOx for 330 MW in consortium with BWE).
- Project Engineer, erection of a 400 ton/h boiler in Skikda, Algeria.
- Resident Engineer, Rural Electrification and System Reinforcement Project (Phase III) for Escom in Malawi.
From January 1990 to December 1991, Rafael worked at Endesa as Dispatching Manager at the Energy Control Centre (Madrid), a 10000 MW control room operated 24/7.
Rafael Alvarez is an Industrial Engineer (Electrical), from ETSII of Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, class of 1989.