Transformers are high capital cost assets in electrical power systems. Elimination of all electrical and mechanical stresses, although desirable to preserve transformer life, is impractical. Adaptive techniques to measure and alarm (or trip) in such instances and advise on cumulative service duty can help to schedule preventive maintenance – before a costly failure occurs.
Internal faults are a risk for all transformers, with short-circuits dissipating the highest localised energy. Unless cleared quickly, the possibility to rewind windings reduces and core damage may become irreparable.
The MiCOM Alstom P642, P643 and P645 address all these issues - preserving service life and offering fast protection for transformer faults. A transient bias technique has been included, enhancing relay stability and CT requirements.
Hosted on an advanced IED platform, the P64x incorporate differential, REF, thermal, and overfluxing protection, plus backup protection for uncleared external faults. Model variants cover two and three-winding transformers (including auto-transformers), with up to five sets of 3-phase CT inputs.
- Comprehensive protection for 2 or 3 winding transformers, with dual breaker feeding on up to two sides
- High and low impedance restricted earth fault (REF) boosts trip sensitivity
- Fast reset (less than 1 cycle) circuit breaker failure elements
- Integral asset management capability: transformer thermal overload (IEEE Standard C57.91), loss of life (LOL) and through fault monitoring
Key customer benefits:
- Backup and logging of through faults
- Simple settings – wizard requires only nameplate data
- Integrated backup overcurrent per winding or CT input - optional directionalising when relay fitted with a 3-phase VT
- Ordering the 3-phase VT permits full monitoring and measurement of power and energy quantities
- Current loop analogue inputs [CLIO] and analogue outputs [RTD] for remote monitoring
- Optional single or dual redundant Ethernet available for IEC 61850 or DNP3
- Transient biasing reduces CT knee point dimensioning by typically 25% compared to historical applications
Overall differentiation factors:
- High stability during external fault with heavy CT saturation due to transient bias technique
- No slow-down of differential elements due to 2nd harmonic component in fault currents (inferior relays on the market may be slowed at moderate fault levels due to false triggering of inrush detectors)
- Current transformer supervision operates with or without voltage inputs, fast enough to prevent any spurious tripping, and raise the alarm
- 10 integrated function keys, tri-colour LEDs, and graphical programmable logic permit the creation of comprehensive schemes, tailored to your needs
- P642 2 Winding transformer management IED
- P643 3-End transformer management IED
- P645 5-End transformer management IED
About MiCOM P40 Agile
Alstom’s philosophy is one of continuous improvement in our products and solutions. Our emphasis on communication in MiCOM has become a focus which secures leadership in the digital substation. To mark this phase of evolution, the brand “P40 Agile” is applied to the range. P40 Agile is a mark of performance and quality, proudly available from Alstom, and only from Alstom.
MiCOM Alstom P64x IEDs software release NEW Software 06 - Order Book Open
The MiCOM ALSTOM Transformer Management P64x IEDs are now available with software 06A. This software allows new enhancements and protection improvements, in P642, P643 P645 range of products.
The IEDs available with the new software are:
- P642 Transformer Management Hardware P / Software v06A
- P643 Transformer Management Hardware M / Software v06A
- P645 Transformer Management Hardware M / Software v06A
The software 06A new features:
- Maximum number of digital inputs increased from 24 to 40 digital inputs in P643/5 models
- 2nd harmonic current blocking during transformer energisation is now available for Overcurrent, Earth Fault and REF protection
- New Reference Vector Group setting allows better compatibility with KBCH phase correction
- Increased setting ranges (0.5 -40 PU) for differential protection high set elements, Is-HS1 and Is-HS2
- Fast operating times of the biased differential element (<33 ms) at low pickups, as low as 20% above the operating characteristic
- Improved CT requirement