Alstom Grid engineers are pioneers of HVDC transmission systems and have been a guiding light in this field for over 50 years. Through our global Competency Centres, our teams of engineers bring you unparalleled experience.
All HVDC solutions are based on a project-by-project assessment of your individual needs and requirements, whether it's for long distance power transmission, energy trading between independent networks or connection between asynchronous networks. We also offer complete project management from network analysis and design, to commissioning and even operation-for any type of HVDC transmission system..
Technical HVDC advantages
- The HVDC power flow is fully controllable, fast and accurate. The operator or automatic controller determines how much power flows via the link.
- An HVDC link is asynchronous and can adapt to any rated voltage and frequency at reception. The HVDC link can be used to assist the AC networks at each end of the link (e.g. power system damping)
- HVDC links do not increase the systems short circuit level and fault cannot transfer across HVDC interconnected systems.
- HVDC can transport economically and efficiently over longer distance than AC lines or cables and, in a fixed corridor, HVDC transmission systems provide increased capacity.
- Large HVDC schemes (5000 MW - 6400 MW) are used to access remote hydro power resources, hence renewable energy with no CO2 emissions.
- HVDC is more economical than HVAC for schemes with transmission distances more than 700 km.
Associated services:HVDC FACTS lifecyle
Renovating the France - UK HVDC link