Designed for the industry’s most challenging environmental conditions
Alstom has installed the world’s largest offshore wind turbine off the Belgian coast, the Haliade™ 150-6MW.
This is the largest offshore wind turbine ever installed in sea waters. Thanks to its 150-metre diameter rotor (with blades stretching 73.50 metre), the turbine is more efficient since its yield is 15% better than existing offshore turbines, enabling it to supply power to the equivalent of about 5,000 households.
Developed for all offshore conditions, installed in Northern Europe and suitable for the U.S. market, our offshore 6 MW direct drive wind turbine combines proven technology and innovation.Building on our unique Alstom Pure Torque® design, it provides high yield and uncompromising reliability that will lower the cost of offshore energy.
The award in April 2012 of 3 offshore wind farms to the consortium led by EDF EN for which Alstom is the exclusive turbine supplier (Saint-Nazaire, Courseulles-sur-Mer and Fécamp for a total of around 240 wind turbines) has been a key milestone.Alstom has since confirmed four facilities (nacelles, generators, blades and towers) will be set up in France and the first stone of the Saint-Nazaire factory for nacelles was laid in early 2013.
The first Haliade™ 150-6MW has successfully obtained the IEC power performance measurement (power curve) after 3 months of performance measurements at Le Carnet site, in France. Thanks to its unique innovative and proven technology, Alstom is a key player in the offshore wind market, delivering efficient, reliable and environmentally-friendly power solutions to its customers.
The Haliade™ 150-6MW wind turbine - An advanced design
- Alstom Pure Torque® design protects the generator to ensure and improves its performance by diverting unwanted stresses from the wind safely to the turbine’s tower though the main frame.
- The innovative « Advanced High Density » direct-drive Permanent Magnet Generator (PMG) is more compact and lightweight design compared to earlier generation direct-drive systems.
- Alstom’s unique and proven rotor support with direct-drive PMG increases reliability, maximises turbine availability and reduces maintenance costs
- Strenght and durability are maximised with the 150m diameter rotor combined with 73.5m light blade
- Yield improved by 15% compared to the existing offshore turbines
- Supplying 5,000 households with electricity
Why choose Alstom offshore wind turbines?
We have over 100 years of experience building utility-size power projects, 30 years’ wind turbine expertise, and amongst the most extensive experience in offshore electrical infrastructure, with over 2.3 GW of offshore wind farm substations delivered or under construction.