Alstom in North America -- 150+ Years of Innovation
Alstom’s rolling stock facility in Hornell, NY has been manufacturing and servicing trains for nearly 150 years. This historic facility and its highly-skilled workforce represent the foundation of Alstom’s extensive North American presence, which includes 1,500 employees at 13 sites in the US and Canada.
Alstom’s Rochester, NY based Signaling business has over 110 years of local expertise and provides train control systems for 50 percent of all North American metros.
In Canada, Alstom has a long-established industrial footprint, with major successes in signaling. Alstom recently announced a milestone light rail project for the City of Ottawa, supplying the city with 34 light rail vehicles – made in North America – and 30 years of maintenance for OC Transpo’s Confederation Line. In addition, Alstom delivered 6 new Coradia Lint DMU trains to Ottawa, the first regional trains from the Coradia range – designed to European standards – delivered to the North American market.
Alstom has global experience and expertise few rivals can match. The company is uniquely qualified to adapt and localize proven technologies to perform reliably on existing infrastructure and under the unique operating conditions and performance requirements of the North American market. The company’s extensive US supply chain has created American jobs from coast to coast, with 350 suppliers in 30 states.
The Alstom North American team designs, develops and delivers world-class signaling systems, rolling stock, information solutions and train maintenance services to the region’s premier rail and transit agencies.
Alstom in North America
- Alstom’s 700,000 square foot Hornell facility is the largest passenger rail manufacturing facility in North America
- The Hornell plant has delivered more than 8,000 new or refurbished rail vehicles to customers across the region, including 1,000 R160 subway cars to New York City Transit (NYCT)
- The company’s coast-to-coast service and maintenance operations keep the nation’s busiest lines running smoothly
- Alstom helps 10 million commuters make their to and around New York City
- Proven track record of up to 95 percent local U.S. content from Hornell, NY
110 Years of Signaling Innovation
- Continuously operating from Rochester since 1904
- Train control for 50 percent of all North American metro
- First approved positive train control (PTC) solutions for the U.S.
Committed to growing the North American market
- Strong growth potential with next generation of signaling
- Overall opportunities to grow: Northeast Corridor, high-speed rail, light-rail, service, maintenance, metros, turnkey and infrastructure
- Alstom is fully Buy American compliant
- Global Expertise, North American Leadership