Smart glazing by Alstom
During the Industry and Innovation train event which criss-crosses France from 19 March to 18 April 2013, Alstom presents a smart glazing prototype* for its trains. Spotlight on this innovating technology which places real-time passenger information at the heart of passenger journeys.
Real-time information at the heart of transportation
Passenger information is becoming a key component of a successful trip with the arising of intermodality. For example, real-time passenger information systems are already in operation to meet this demand on RATP and SNCF networks in the Île-de-france region.
The equipment could be video or digital displays:
- in the train stations;
- on the station platforms or at the bus stops;
- aboard the vehicles.
Designing a new fluidity for passenger information
To make the information even more accessible to the travelers, Alstom proposes to take advantage of the train glazing as a new media for real-time information. The smart glazing prototype imagined by Alstom and Saint-Gobain is based on a transparent liquid crystal display.
Placed at the fingertips of passengers, it will allow turning free-time during journeys into an information or leisure time.
According to the operator , many types of information could be displayed:
- Hours of trains, trams and metros connections;
- Information or prevention announcements (construction, disturbances);
- Information about passenger program;
- Destination map;
- Point of interest of the stations or cities crossed;
- Videos, etc.
Thanks to this innovative technology, real-time passenger information becomes an integral part of pleasant and seamless journeys.
* by exposing this non-marketed prototype, Alstom aims to collect Industry and Innovation train visitors feedback.
A date with industrial excellence