Alstom in Italy
Regional offices phone contacts:
Bari - 0039 (0)80 9198271
Bologna – 0039 (0)51 0464900
Firenze - 0039 (0)55 42 341
Lecco – 0039 (0)3411812400
Nola – 0039 (0)8131190160
Savigliano – 0039 (0)172 718 111
Sesto San Giovanni - 0039 (0)2 2219640
Vado Ligure – 0039 (0)19 28901
A leading player in Italian rail industry
Deeply rooted in the Italian railway tradition, Alstom in Italy has been manufacturing trains for 160 years, signalling equipment for 90 years and traction systems for 60 years.
Today, with 9 sites, 39 depots throughout Italy and more than 3,700 employees, Alstom is a strong local employer recognised as one of the leaders on the Italian market.
Alstom in Italy can boast two global competence centres:
- Savigliano (CN), for high-speed trains Avelia Pendolino and based on tilting technology and for regional single-decker trains Coradia Stream
- Bologna for signalling, computerised interlocking and traffic supervision systems
Alstom has made considerable investments in its industrial base in Italy. Alstom’s site in Savigliano (CN) is an example of Factory 4.0, with a cutting-edge 3D virtual reality room enabling our engineers to design trains for easier maintainability.
- Over 500 Avelia Pendolino trains built in Italy and sold in 13 countries, including UK, Russia, Finland and China
- More than 600 regional trains for public, private and regional operators
- 88 Traxx DC3 units sold to eight Italian customers
- ERTMS level 2 system for the Italian high-speed lines, the first in Europe to be equipped with the new interoperable standard
- Electrification, medium-low voltage and safety tunnel systems for most of Italian high-speed lines. Third rail and power supply for Milano Metro Line 5. Trackwork, electrification and lighting for Firenze Tramways Line 2 and 3
- Monorail system in Cairo (Egypt) and APM for Fiumicino airport (Italy)
Alstom and CSR
Alstom contributes to economic development and social progress not only on a large scale, via its projects and technologies but, also, supporting communities near its factories and work sites, improving the living conditions of the people.
Over the years Alstom in Italy has conducted initiatives targeted to the academic world, our employees, the local communities and the environment.
Discover more below.
- Partnership with Milano and Torino Polytechnics, Bologna University and Roma La Sapienza for Bachelor and Master’s degrees and Summer School courses in Mobility Engineering
- Collaboration with high schools for education and training of young people: different company departments periodically host students attending technical schools, located in the neighbourhoods of Alstom sites
- Award as a Top Employer in Italy
- Smart working for employees
- Membership of Valore D, the Italian association dedicated to making the most of women’s talents and collaboration with the Valore D project “Inspiring Girls”, aimed at giving value to gender differences and inclusion.
- Promotion of inter- and intra-company educational, training and networking projects and mentoring programmes
- Projects aimed at nurturing cultural differences and integrating people with disabilities
- Hiring of four people with Asperger’s syndrome for highly technical roles in signalling (in collaboration with Bologna’s local health authority)
- Availability for Alstom’s employees of the training course Lifeed, designed to accompany employees through an important life transition such as parenthood.
- Savigliano Factory Museum: the site of Savigliano is part of an extended museum itinerary including three locations where the visitor can learn about the ties between the town of Savigliano and trains
- Alstom in Italy has started a process of replacing disposable plastic with more sustainable materials in its offices and sites by joining the #iosonoambiente environmental campaign, promoted by the Italian Environment Ministry with the ultimate goal of becoming a #plasticfree company
- The Alstom Foundation supports several projects in Italy
- A programme for collecting uneaten food from the canteens of the company’s three principal sites, in collaboration with the Food Bank
- AFNOR certified Safety (ISO 45001) and Environmental (ISO 14001) Management Systems
Hydrogen trains for Ferrovie Nord Milano
Alstom in Italy will manufacture and supply six hydrogen fuel cell trains, with the option for eight more, to FNM (Ferrovie Nord Milano) for the non-electrified line Brescia-Iseo-Edolo.
High-speed trains and signalling
25 Avelia AGV and 26 Pendolino EVO trains for NTV; ERTMS level 2 for high-speed and other lines in Italy.
Integrated control centre for Bologna central station and signalling system for Passante di Bologna; traffic supervision system and computerised interlockings for the node of Rome.
Renewal of signalling systems
West Denmark, Arad-Curtici line (Romania), Beni Suef-Asyut line (Egypt) ; Milan Metro Line 1 without service interruption.
Maintenance and renovation
Fleet maintenance: Minuetto (Trenitalia and Trentino Trasporti) Coradia Meridian (Trenord); 30 years maintenance for Italo (NTV) AGV and Pendolino EVO; overhaul and technological upgrading for SBB Pendolino ETR 610 fleet; renovation upgrade of Trenitalia ETR470 Pendolino trains for Greece.
Coradia Stream for Trenitalia
In 2016, Alstom has been awarded a frame contract for the delivery of 150 Coradia Stream trains for Trenitalia, which is now being implemented. In 2021 a new frame agreement for the supply of 150 Coradia Stream (160 km/h speed trains) has been signed.
Alstom is building 17 Avelia Pendolino high-speed trains for NTV. Called Italo EVO, these trains, in addition to the existing fleet of 25 AGVs, will bring up the NTV fleet to a total of 42 Avelia trains.
Coradia Stream for FERROVIENORD
Alstom is currently building 20 Coradia Stream for FerrovieNord Milano’s fleet, as a part of a frame contract for the supply of 31 trains in total, which will circulate in Lombardy Region.
Milano-Genova and Brescia-Verona HSL (part of electrification, medium/low voltage systems, safety tunnel, sound system). New tram lines 2 and 3 (and extension) in Florence (track, electrification, power supply). Maintenance and renewal of electric traction, electrical sub-station, signalling wayside works in various geographical areas. Bus re-charge system for ATM Milano. New Desio-Seregno tramway (track, electrification). Milano Metro Line 5 (track, 3rd rail, power supply, screen doors). Coradia Stream for FerrovieNordMilano.
Alstom hosts the “Laugh!” exhibition by artist Monica Pirone and initiates a series of public conferences in Italy to raise awareness about gender-based…
Alstom and Infra.To present the livery of Metro Turin's new Line 1 at EXPO Ferroviaria
FNM and Alstom present Italy's first hydrogen-powered train
Alstom to present Italy’s first hydrogen-powered train and the latest innovations for smart mobility at EXPO Ferroviaria 2023
Alstom inaugurates new office in Rome (Italy) and confirms its leadership position in the signalling and rail infrastructure market in Italy
Alstom in Italy joins "Parks - Free and Equal" to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace
Alstom inaugurates new production site in Valmadrera (Lecco, Italy) dedicated to railway electrification
Alstom achieves Global Top Employer certification for the first time and targets young talent to support its development